DEPARTMENT OF PHARMACOLOGY
HOD: - Dr. S.DAS GUPTA
HISTORY OF DEPARTMENT:- Department started functioning from 18.07.1973. First HOD was Dr. P. sen.
AIMS & OBJECTIVE: - To impart undergraduate Teaching.
RESEARCH & METHODOLOGY:-Research laboratory is available in the department, When P.G. teaching will start it will start functioning.
ABOUT LAB:-Pharmacy lab well equipped for Pharmacy Practical.
ACHIVEMENT:-More then three thousand passed out from this Department.
The broad goal of the teaching of undergraduate students in Pharmacology is to inculcate a rational and scientific basis of therapeutics.
At the end of the course,
the student should be able to:
- Describe the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of essential and commonly used drugs.
- List the indications, contraindications, interactions and adverse reactions of commonly used drugs.
- Indicate the use of appropriate drug in a particular disease with consideration to its cost, efficacy and safety for:-
- Individual needs.
- Mass therapy under national health program.
- Describe the pharmacokinetic basis, clinical presentation, diagnosis and management of common poisonings.
- List the drugs of addiction and recommend the management.
- Classify environmental and occupational pollutants and state the management issues.
- Indicate causations in prescription of drugs in special medical situations such as pregnancy, lactation, infancy and old age.
- Integrate the concept of rational drug therapy in clinical pharmacology.
- state the principles underlying the concept of 'Essential Drugs'.
- evaluate the ethics and modalities involved in the development and introduction of new drugs.
At the end of the course, the
student should be able to:
- Prescribe drugs for common ailments.
- Recognise adverse reactions and interactions of commonly used drugs.
- Observe experiments designed for study of effects of drugs, bioassay and interpretation of the experimental data.
- Scan information on common pharmaceutical preparations and critically evaluate drug formulations.
Practical knowledge of use of drugs in clinical practice will be acquired through integrated teaching with clinical departments and pre clinical departments.